Tree Planting Incentive Program
The Tree Planting Program is established for the purpose of encouraging tree planting in Hesston.
The City of Hesston sponsors a incentive program running from September 15th thru May 31st for City of Hesston Residents only. Annually, the City Council budgets a designated amount of funds which will be used to pay incentives for the planting of trees.
Resident Program - Residents of Hesston who purchase and plant a tree during the incentive program may qualify for a refund of 50% of the cost of the tree to not exceed a maximum of $50.00 per tree with a maximum of two trees per season.
Rental Program - Owners of rental units also qualify for the program with a maximum allocation of two trees per building unit or apartment unit per season. The incentive dollars will be the same as in the Resident Program.
Commercial Program - Commercial business owners are eligible to participate as well with a maximum allocation of five trees on a one-time basis to assist with the initial landscaping or the business may choose as an option two trees per season. The incentive dollars will be the same as in the Resident Program.
The following guidelines are also applicable to all three of the aforementioned programs:
- Trees must be selected from the Preferred Trees for South Central Kansas (pdf) list.
- Participants of the Resident Program must be residents of Hesston and the trees must be planted on private residential property.
- Participating rental units and commercial businesses must be located in Hesston and the trees must be planted on the frontage property of the unit(s).
- Trees must be planted before the concluding dates of the spring and fall season incentive programs as designated by city staff.
- Trees must be purchased from an established nursery.
- Receipts, which list the name of the tree, must be brought to City Hall between the designated dates to receive an incentive.
Street Tree Planting Recommendations for Hesston Kansas
Important considerations for Successful Street Tree Planting and Growing in Hesston based on the City of Hesston, KS Ordinance 170-1985-066. The purpose of this recommendation is to help prevent visual obstruction of sight lines and street corners, and to maintain sidewalk integrity.
Select a tree variety from the Preferred Trees for South Central Kansas (pdf) list, also available at Hesston City Hall.
- Tree sizes:
- Small trees are defined as those that attain a normal maximum height of 30' or less.
- Medium trees are those that attain a height of 30' to 45' at maturity.
- Large trees are defined as those attaining a height of 45' or more at maturity.
- Spacing: Based on the 3 classes of tree sizes listed above, no tree may be planted closer together than the following:
- Small...30 feet
- Medium...40 feet
- Large...50 feet
- Distance from Curb: Based on the 3 classes of trees listed above, no tree may be placed closer to the curb than the following:
- Small or medium tree...4 feet
- Large tree...6 feet
- Distance from Sidewalk: Based on the 3 classes of trees listed above, no tree may be planted closer to the sidewalk than the following:
- Small...2 feet
- Medium...3 feet
- Large...4 feet
- Distance from Street Corners and Fireplugs: No tree shall be planted closer than 20 feet from a street corner, measured from the point of nearest intersecting curbs or curb lines. No tree shall be planted closer than 10 feet from a fireplug.
- Distance from Utilities: Only small trees as defined above may be planted under or within 10 lateral feet of any overhead utility wire, or over or within 5 lateral feet of any underground water line, sewer line, transmission line or other utility.